Now onto these delicious cupcakes. Much like Jen over at Beantown Baker think this my new go-to chocolate cupcake recipe. I will admit that I do not always let the batter sit for a full hour, but either way I have never had these cupcakes turn out anything but extraordinary. This topping combination might just have to be added to my favorites list. It is basically a coconut cream cheese frosting with a hard candy coating. The hard candy coating makes these cupcakes a little messy to eat, but honestly what cupcake is not messy. Until next time my friends…stay sweet.
Almond Joy Cupcakes
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, cut up
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
1/4 cup butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3-4 cups powdered sugar
Chocolate candy melts
Sliced or whole almods (for topping)
Flaked coconut (for topping)
For the Cupcakes
To prepare the cupcakes, In a heatproof bowl, combine chocolate and cocoa powder.
– In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the granulated sugar, butter, and water, stirring occasionally, until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. Pour the butter mixture over the chocolate and whisk until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth.
– Whisk the milk, egg, extra yolk, and vanilla into the chocolate mixture until combined.
– In a bowl, stir the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until blended. Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture and whisk until smooth. Let the batter sit at room temperature for 1 hour or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
When ready to bake the cupcakes, Preheat the oven at 350 degrees and line standard muffin tins with 16 paper liners.
– Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Bake for 30 minutes or until the tops spring back when pressed lightly with a fingertip. Set on a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
For the Topping
– Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add shredded coconut and vanilla, mix again. Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
– Pipe topping onto cooled cupcakes. Use a knife to smooth out the topping.
– Place chocolate melts in a microwave-safe bowl and melt and stir until smooth. Dip cupcakes into chocolate and then quickly sprinkle almonds and/or coconut on top.
~Yields approximately 16 cupcakesPrint This Recipe